Welcome back for the fifth day of our Mug Rug Blog Hop!
Candace from Saltwater Quilts is here today, sharing a ruffled patchwork mug rug made using the Gramercy collection by Kitty Yoshida. We hope you try out her design, and then don't forget to scroll down to the end of the post to find out how to enter for a chance to win a fat quarter bundle of fabric!
Hello, my name is Candace and I regularly blog at SaltwaterQuilts.com. I am excited to share a fun mug rug tutorial with you using the fabrics from the Gramercy collection from Benartex. This is a quick and easy project and makes a fun gift.
The mug rug measures 9.5" by 9.5" (ruffle included).
Back and Batting: Cut 8.5" square
1. Assemble the top and press the seams flat with a hot iron. Place the mug rug top on the batting and quilt the two layers together. Trim the edges and square up the top if needed.
2. Make the ruffle. Cut two strips of fabric to equal the length of 64" with a 2.25" width. Sew the strips together on both ends to make a circle. Fold the strip in half and press with an iron. Hand baste stitch around the raw edge with a 1/4" seam allowance.
3. Pull the stitching tight to create the ruffle. Tighten it enough to fit the mug rug and spread out the ruffles evenly. Pin the ruffles to the mug rug top with the raw edges together and the folded edge facing in towards the center. Pin around the edges and for the corners fold a little extra fabric to ensure square corners. Machine baste stitch on top of your hand basting to hold the ruffle in place.
4. Place the backing face down on the front and trim to fit. Sew the layers together with a 3/8" seam allowance, leaving a 4" gap on one side (noted by the arrows below).
5. Trim the corners and turn inside out. Press the layers with an iron and hand stitch the opening closed.
For a chance to win a fat quarter bundle of Benartex or Kanvas fabric, simply sign up to follow this blog, either through Bloglovin' (or another blog reader service) or email (both options are in the right hand sidebar) and leave a comment letting us know you follow. In your comment, also tell us if you've ever made ruffles before. Leave a second comment and receive a second entry by following us on Facebook and letting us know. This giveaway is open through Friday, February 7 at 11:59 PM EST.
Make sure you check out all the Mug Rug tutorials!
Day 1: Benartex Design Team featuring Bohemian Rhapsody
Day 2: Debby Kratovil from Debby Kratovil Quilts featuring Fossil Ferns
Day 3: Stitched Together Studios featuring Shaken or Stirred
Day 4: Benartex Design Team featuring Puppy Love and Smooches
Day 6: Julie from The Crafty Quilter featuring Sweet Tweet