Friday, October 11, 2013

(Lime) Green with Envy

A while back we shared a tutorial using the yellow colorway of Cosmopolitan (a Contempo Studio line designed by Michele D'Amore).
Today, we're (lime) green with envy, admiring Wendy Sheppard's "Manhattan" wallhanging, featured in the fall issue of Quilt Trends magazine. 

"Manhattan" designed by Wendy Sheppard;
featured in Quilt Trends Fall 2013

A large portion of the quilt center is comprised of the panel print from Cosmopolitan, and then Wendy framed it in an asymetrical and fun grouping of borders. Read what Wendy has to say below and then head over to her blog to see more close-ups of this modern piece of art!
Cosmopolitan panel


What made you choose to add more triangles to the design beyond the flying geese in the panel?
I felt like triangles done a little differently would contrast the preprinted geese nicely. Plus, I thought with the bulk of construction already done with the panel, introducing the template pieced triangles is a nice touch for those who have never attempted template piecing. 

Any tips for fussy cutting pieces like the panel?
I have found that not pressing the fabric prior to cutting helps me achieve better accuracy as far as matching the prints and eliminates any potential for distortion. So now, I cut my fabrics fresh off the bolt (no prewashing of the fabrics in this case), and press only after a block is pieced.

Can you share your thought process in selecting border treatments, specifically the asymmetrical ones?
I felt like the busy-ness of the panel print needed something long and soothing to balance.  Thus the long vertical strips in the quilt center.  I also chose the large brushstroke portion of the stripe print to give a bit of contrast to the smaller prints on the panel print.

Tell us about the machine quilting.
Yes, the quilt is busy and anything dense would probably be obscured by the busy print. So I opted for the open-air feel.  I quilted straight lines radiating from a point in the quilt center.  And then added randomly quilted circles. You can see my technique for quilting circles here.



Anything else you'd like to tell us about the quilt?
I love that the orientation of the quilt is so flexible.  I like it when it when I can offer options to quilters.

See the entire Cosmopolitan collection (including the blue and yellow colorways) here.
Find the free pattern for the Manhattan quilt here.
Learn more about Wendy and her work on her blog, here.
Find Quilt Trends here.

Love It? Share It! Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Email

1 comment:

  1. Wendy is such a talented and sharing quilter! Her Thread Talk series has helped my Free Motion Quilting tremendously! Thanks for sharing the interview.

    ReplyDelete