Thursday, February 21, 2019

Spring Pop: Field of Dreams


Need a little floral pop? 
Spring is around the corner...we promise!
Stephanie Sheridan's Wildflower Meadow quilt is featured in the newest issue of McCall's Quilting. This quilt is packed with blooms from Kanvas' Field of Dreams.


"Wildflower Meadow" designed and pieced by Stephanie Sheridan
and machine quilted by Linda Leathersich;
featured in the March/April issue of McCall's Quilting.



What attracted you to the fabric line? Do you have a favorite print?
I loved the all of the flowers with the touch of metallic - sometimes it is fun to just design a pretty quilt with pretty fabrics. My favorite fabric is the focal print - such great detail and colors!


Did you fussy cut flowers for the block centers?
I did! I knew that I wanted both of the hummingbirds (they remind me of my great grandmother) and one of each of the types of flowers. Once I cut out all of the squares I played around with placement on my design wall until I got them the way I wanted them - then I took a picture with my cell phone so that I could keep them in their place as I was making the blocks and assembling the quilt.




How did you choose the coordinates to use around the floral squares?
They pretty much chose themselves ... the two shades of blue and green just seemed perfect for framing the focal squares.


Can you talk about your border choices?
I chose the scattered flowers on black and kept the inner border the same width as the sashing to serve as a bridge between the center of the quilt and the floral mitered outer border - it just helped the whole quilt flow together.


How did the design come about?
I loved this fabric from the first time I saw it and knew that I wanted to create something pretty with it. This quilt uses two construction techniques that are really useful in any quilter's repertoire - partial seams and mitered corners. I hope that quilters will enjoy challenging themselves to make this quilt.


Can you talk about the quilting?
My mom continued the "pretty" theme with the quilting - lots of swirls and feathers, with a beautiful feathered wreath over each of the blocks.




What do you see this being used for?
This quilt is a great throw size. It would be perfect for those cool summer evenings when you are out on the porch swing, or could make a great wall quilt. Heck, I want to use it on the couch tonight to remind me that winter won't last forever here in Pennsylvania!

Click here to see the Field of Dreams collection.
Click here to find this issue McCall's Quilting magazine.




Love It? Share It! Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Email

No comments:

Post a Comment