Monday, August 20, 2018

Amanda Murphy's Free Motion Fantasy

If you've followed our blog for any length of time, you've probably admired Amanda Murphy's gorgeous machine quilting. She designed her new fabric collection, Free Motion Fantasy, to help quilters practice those quilting motifs. We'll be featuring Free Motion Fantasy all week here on the blog, starting with an interview with Amanda about her vibrant fabrics. Get your free motion foot ready to stitch! 


Tell us about the idea behind your Free Motion Fantasy collection.
It’s an educational collection. The patterns that I like to machine quilt are printed on the fabric so that you can follow the lines and learn how to create them. These fabrics are a great way to practice free motion quilting.





How did you decide which motifs to include?
I started with some of the basics—pebbles, for instance, and bricks. I knew I wanted some type of swirled design. I honestly could do four of these collections because there are so many different options that I could include.

Pebbles

Bricks


How did you develop the feature fabric?
I actually worked backwards on this line, which is very different than how I usually work. I started with the different quilting motifs and finished with the feature fabric, which includes many of the bigger patterns on a bigger scale. The feature print comes in four colors, which I named after the seasons.
Orange - Autumn

Pink - Summer

Blue - Winter

Aqua - Spring



Can you tell us about the color palette?
It’s rainbow plus gray. All of the coordinate prints can function as blenders. Some have higher contrast, with little pops of analogous color, like the Flying Geese print.


What’s your favorite print in the collection?
My favorite of the four feature prints is the orange one, and I usually hate orange. It’s very vibrant with the aqua added in.


I really like how the swirls in the flying geese print came out. When it’s quilted, it has amazing movement to it. I also really like the paisley. 
Paisley



Click here to see the entire Free Motion Fantasy collection. 
Click here to visit Amanda's website.

Free Motion Fantasy Features
Monday: 
Introducing Free Motion Fantasy

Tuesday: 

Technique Tuesday with Debby from Debby Kratovil Quilts

Wednesday: 

Jayne from Twiggy and Opal; @twiggyandopal
Laura from Slice of Pi Quilts; @sliceofpiquilts

Thursday: 

Sandra from MMM Quilts @mmmquilts
Lisa from Color My World @lisaerin1121

Friday:

Amanda's Virtual Trunk Show
Love It? Share It! Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Email

19 comments:

  1. Wow, love all of designs and bright colors in this fabulous collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fabrics. Love the designs and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the fabrics. Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful designs in wonderful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Gotta get my hands on some of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fabrics! My favorite is the feature fabric in Aqua and Blues. Love the color combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful fabrics!
    Peggy
    peggy_verdongibbs@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous designs
    with this fabric!
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amanda, These are absolutely gorgeous! Love love the Gorgeousness colors and prints of these pretty fabs. I know I would definitely make me a SASSY FLIRTY APRON WITH MY BUNDLE IF I WAS TO WIN. ����

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amanda, These are absolutely gorgeous! Love love the Gorgeousness colors and prints of these pretty fabs. I know I would definitely make me a SASSY FLIRTY APRON WITH MY BUNDLE IF I WAS TO WIN. ����

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great idea, to get free motion a chance through the pattern in the fabric! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is truly a great idea to follow a pattern with in the pattern to practice. I need to give it a try and learn technique. My work is beyond a mess and looking forward to making it look cleaner and worthy of gifting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the color and movement in this collection. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete