Friday, September 19, 2014

Starring St. Nick!

We showed you Jackie Robinson's Father Frost collection the other day, and now you can see it done up in a quilt! Here's a peek at Jackie's design, Starring St. Nick, which is featured in the November/December issue of McCall's Quilting, plus a little background on the quilt from the designer herself.

"Starring St. Nick" by Jackie Robinson;
featured in McCall's Quilting November/December 2014


Tell us about your Starring St. Nick quilt.
It uses the entire panel except the trees. It's very straightforward to make, with reasonably easy piecing. The star centers are fussy-cut. (Note: And the magazine pattern includes a lesson on accurate fussy cutting!)





And all the colored stars? What a great way to highlight the fussy-cut squares!
Using different colored star points gave the quilt more interest. I played with the different colors with the different square backgrounds. The santas had to have blue around them because I wanted the points to match the background. I just love those santas! Then I moved the stars around a bit, layout-wise. The end result is an on-point square in the middle with the santas marching around.

What's your favorite part of the quilt?
Definitely the Santas that are in the stars. I seem to be a little wilder about these santas than others. When I was in Russia I bought all these things and I hauled them home. I love them. I also like the amount of blue that's there. It's nice to have blue in a Christmas collection.


Click here to read more about Jackie's Father Frost collection.
Click here to see the Father Frost collection.
Click here to find the kit for this project.
Click here to find the Nov/Dec issue of McCall's Quilting.



Love It? Share It! Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Email

1 comment:

  1. Such a nice collection. I love the old fashioned Santas.

    ReplyDelete