Thursday, January 23, 2014

A Walk in the Park

Could you use a little color and cheer in your day? You're in luck! 
Today, Kitty Yoshida shares the inspiration behind her latest fabric collection, Gramercy.



Tell us Gramercy came to be.
Well, as you know, I'm a city girl at heart. New York City is my home, and I'm constantly inspired by the city itself--the architecture, landmarks, parks, fashion and style... Gramercy Park is a fenced-in private park in Manhattan; there's just nothing else like it in the city. Residents who live around the park pay an annual fee to have a key, and while I'm not lucky enough to live on the park, I have a friend who does, so I've visited it. The park is amazing--it was fenced in back in the 1830s, and it's 2 acres of greenery in the middle of the city. Some of the townhouses surrounding the park are almost that old as well. It's such a peaceful place; I love walking through the neighborhood as well. I wanted to create a fabric line that reflected my love for the park and the area in general, and Gramercy is what came about. 

Do the fabric names have special meaning?
Definitely! Lexington and Irving Place are streets that run along the park, and Hudson, well, of course the Hudson River borders Manhattan, and Chelsea is another great neighborhood nearby. 
(You can read more about Gramercy Park and the surrounding area here.)

Tell us about your color palette. 
My favorite time in Gramercy Park is the spring, when everything starts to bloom. Also, as I mentioned, I'm very fashion conscious, and these citrus-y colors are what you're seeing in the department store windows on 5th Avenue. They're very fresh and in style, and I wanted my fabrics to be the same. 

Can you share some of your favorite prints from the collection?
I love the Chelsea florals. They're pretty stylistic, but they're also fun. The High Line Geo prints remind me of the layout of a city like Manhattan--lines, squares and boxes--and provide such an interesting contrast to the more organic flowers and leaves. Of course, the Hudson plaid is similar to a print I've done before--taking a traditional plaid and turning it on an angle to make it more modern. Another favorite is the Irving Place print. It was inspired by the feel of the Hotel Irving, which is near the park. A great tonal-type fabric with such an elegant motif. 


Chelsea Green

High Line Geo Pink/Multi


Hudson White/Green

Irving Place Pink

See close-ups of the entire Gramercy collection here.

Also, make sure to download the free quilt patterns designed exclusively for the Gramercy collection:

View on Lexington by Wendy Sheppard

Midori's Place by Wendy Sheppard


Summer Star by Diane Nagel











Love It? Share It! Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Email

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful color combination. Makes gorgeous quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new fabrics, and that summer star quilt is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those beautiful fabrics. Make me think of spring and on this cold day in Wisconsin, that is a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun fabrics and bright spring colors I can use after six inches of snow yesterday! And three downloadable patterns! Awesome. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete