Friday, June 21, 2013

Lovin' the Lime!


Lime green isn't only a summer color, but it's sure looking good right now! Sandi Irish fell in love with the lime and navy prints of Catalina, a collection by Greta Lynn from Kanvas that is based on the classic American bandanna.  She used it to create "Calypso," a classic star pattern with a twist.

"Calypso" by Sandi Irish;
featured in Quilt Trends Summer 2013
Sandi shared some of the details of "Calypso" with us.

What drew you to the Catalina fabrics?

I love the fresh colors! Lime green has always been a favorite of mine and it looks like spring!
Catalina in both the lime and red colorways

Why did you design a quilt with this type of star?
I had made this same quilt in the country reds, creams and blues first, but when the chance came to use the Catalina collection for a quilt I knew the design would also work well and create a totally different look.

Love that you made the star without y seams or set-in piecing. What prompted you to make it that way?
I have designed a template set that I used in this pattern (although paper templates are included in the magazine) and as I continue to add patterns to the Quilted Jewel Pattern series, my goal is to keep it easy without set in seams. I might need to do a partial seam at some point but no Y seams allowed! Since the quilt is assembled in rows, avoiding Y seams also came easy.

It looks like you fussy cut one of the fabrics for the stars.
I did fussy cut the bird; it was just a perfect fit for the template. It would be pretty even if it is not fussy cut.



Was it easy to choose the inner and outer border prints?


I tend toward the traditional look of small solid inner border and printed outer border, but the small print in the inner border blends nicely from the white background to the large scale flowers in the outer border.
 



Learn more about Sandi Irish here.
See the entire Catalina collection here.
Find the kit for the project (and the templates) here.
Find Quilt Trends magazine here.



Love It? Share It! Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Email

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous colours - I love lime green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If win, I hope that the pattern with templates and all that is necessary for Calypso is included with the fabric prize.

    ReplyDelete